How Are the Mega Millions Numbers Drawn?
Behind all the lights and TV cameras, a tremendous amount of behind-the-scenes work and security goes into ensuring that each Mega Millions draw is random and free from tampering, and that every ticket has an equal chance of winning.
Mega Millions eschews computers for mechanical, gravity pick machines which are still considered to be the most random and tamper-proof lottery draw machines to-date. Officials inspect and calibrate every piece of equipment, including the numbered balls, to ensure that there are no outside influences on the results.
Once the draw has concluded and the latest Mega Millions results are in, ticket holders rush to see if they’ve joined the ranks of the biggest Mega Millions winners! With a jackpot that starts at $40 million, Mega Millions has the power to make dreams come true with each and every draw.
How to Read Mega Millions Results
To find out if you are a winner, you have to read the Mega Millions results correctly. Here is everything you need to know about checking your numbers:
- Check the 5 Mega Millions main numbers in the correct section – those drawn from 1 to 70.
- Check the Mega Ball in the additional number section – the one drawn from 1 to 25.
- Always check the full Mega Millions prize breakdown. Even if you haven’t matched all the 5 main numbers and the Mega Ball, you may still have all the winning combination for one of the secondary prizes.
- The main numbers and the Mega Ball are drawn from different guess ranges and they are not interchangeable. For instance, if the Mega Ball is 10 and you have it on your ticket in the main number section, it will not count as a match.
- Make sure that you are checking the winning numbers for the correct draw. The date on your ticket must correspond to the date of the draw for the win to be valid.